Meet the Cast of Twelfth Night: Cassandra
1) Where are you from? How did you end up here (or why did you stay)?
I grew up in Utica, Michigan, a small suburb of Detroit, and lived on the east side most of my life. I came to Grand Rapids via England, Sweden, and Baltimore, Maryland, and stayed thanks to the sunset on the river and the wonderful arts community that calls Grand Rapids home.
2) Where did you study acting?
I have studied at Grand Rapids Community College and Grand Valley State University and am currently working towards a degree in Theatre Management. I studied voice with Julie Craigo of the Michigan
3) What theaters have you worked with? Describe a favorite role/production:
This is my fourth production with Pigeon Creek Shakespeare Company, but the first where I will actually be seen on stage. I was the rehearsal stage manager for Coriolanus (2014), Julius Caesar (2015), and The Winter’s Tale (2015).
In Grand Rapids, I have worked behind-the-scenes with Actors’ Theatre and Jewish Theatre, and served as Production Manager for the Lake Effect Fringe Festival in 2015. I am regularly seen with the West Michigan Savoyards, and am a member of the Board of Directors. I am also the Artistic Director of a fledgling theatre company called Blue Star Players, making our debut this year.
4) What do you do in your free time?
My “free time” is completely occupied by theatre projects at the moment. Right now, I am producing my first full-length play, “The Killing Jar,” which will open at Dog Story Theater in October 2015.
When not fully involved in the theatre, I enjoy traveling, reading and writing, playing musical instruments (flute is my primary instrument and I am currently learning guitar), scuba diving, and doing yoga.
5) Share three “fun facts” about yourself:
- My favorite poem is “The Man with the Blue Guitar” by Wallace Stevens. I also own a blue guitar.
- The way to my heart is through correct and appropriate use of spelling and grammar.
- I always return the cart to the corral.